Friday, June 29, 2007

You LED up my life.

I love my mini MAGlite. Like most of us it is one of my favorite inspection tools. Like many of us I have the 2-AA cell pocket size version. I know, many people think I should have a more powerful beam of the bigger bulkier models. But I need to be very protable, and those big ones have problems with that. I had one problem with my mini-mag though. I keep dropping it, and breaking light bulbs. It was getting expensive either replacing flashlights or replacing Bulbs.

So when I started seeing advertisements for LED flashlights I thought I would look into it. In terms of brightness and light source, I was impressed to say the least. LED’s are a fuller spectrum than the incandescent bulb. Impressed is an understatement. A better word would be addicted. Full spectrum allows for a finding things you never thought you ever find with that sickly yellow beam.

Then I saw the price. Sticker shock ensued. Expect to pay $30-$60 for a good flashlight. One day before an out-of-town inspection, I found I had forgotten my flashlight. And so I bit the bullet and bought a plasticInova $30 LED flashlight (I couldn't afford for the more durable models). While it worked incredibly well, the plastic it was made of is not meant for inspection use. I cracked the plastic in a month.It wasn't as durable as my beloved MAGlite, even with bulb problems. Apparently Inove agrees: they stopped selling that model.


Maglite does make a few LED flashlights. Last night while shopping in Target I saw the 2-AAcell mini MAGlite LED for $25. The 3-cell version which I’ve seen in hardware stores is about $30. But I actually like another option.


A company called nitize.com sells conversion kits for the standard mini maglite, available at Target and many sporting and hardware stores. The kit includes a 3-LED bulb assembly and reflector replacement, and a new end cap with a push switch. Converting is as easy as changing a bulb. The kit is my kind of price as well: about $10.


I did that about year ago, and my flashlight has been my best buddy since.

No comments: